Sunday, September 28, 2008

Want some cheese to go with that w(h)ine?


Little jab, play on words. Now that I am of age to legally purchase and consume wine, I have kept a list of the wines I have tried so I know which ones I like and which ones I abhor. This list is several months in the making and it will be several months until it can be updated again...

Ah, yes, a post dedicated exclusively to wine and cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Ah, I wish I wasn't a poor college kid so I could eat good food more often. Relying on the dining hall and my budget just doesn't cut it. Looking forward to momma's home cookin' this weekend.

Winners:

Biltmore Estate Chardonnay Sur Lies (“the aging process lends the freshness of fruit with a hint of pear to this pleasant, medium-bodied chardonnay sur lies”). Maybe the best chardonnay I’ve had yet.

Estancia, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2006, Paso Robles (“Estancia Cabernet Sauvignon displays dense black currant, lush chocolate and dark cherry flavors followed by a long, supple finish”). Bridgette introduced me to red wine. YUM. Paired it with Dove dark chocolate, quite a treat.

Proshyan, Pomegranate semisweet, Armenia. Wine made from POMEGRANATES. True story. Amazing.

Toasted Head Chardonnay - had it at CB's wedding reception and the night I went on the Haunted Tavern Tour with Bridgette, Corey, & Clint.

Gnarly Head - merlot. Chocolate, mint. Also paired well with chocolate.

* I’m looking forward to trying Leese Fitch Chardonnay – a “chardonnay with hints of toasted marshmallow, creamy vanilla, and lemon lime soda” – that roommate tasted out on the town and it sounds like perfection in a bottle. We shall see.

Losers:

Beach dogs Chardonnay. BIG loser. One liter of wine for $10. NEVER again. DISGUSTING. It even smelled terrible. Roommates may be able to use it for cooking. UGH. The cute dog on the label was definitely deceptive. Shame on you Beach dogs, shame, shame, shame. Couldn’t even find it when I googled it. From now on, I am not going to open a bottle of wine if I can’t even find a review online.

And now the cheese:

Winners:

One of my favorite meals ever: Chicora Alley chicken burrito. Plantains, Spinach, Guacamole, Roasted Red Peppers, Queso & Colby Jack Cheese. Queso and Colby jack – amazing combo.

Tomatoes and marinated mozzarella slices. Had it on my 22nd birthday. Deeeelicious.

Sloppy joes & pepper jack cheese on a pita. Clint’s dad made it for us 4th of July as a midnight snack. Though the sandwich itself was already amazing, the cheese gave it an extra kick.

Bree and crackers!!!

Losers:

Not a fan of Swiss cheese, but I don’t know if that makes it a loser…hmm…

Wow. That post was so much more fun than studying for the LSAT.

No comments: