Wednesday, September 3, 2008

just to say i love you


What a beautiful day at Furman!

Mid-80s all day makes for very pleasant strolls to and from class and around the 5-k campus course.

Instead of going to meetings at 5 and 6 as I have done for the past 2-3 years, I took a short nap and walked the 5-k course.

Au revoir, Residential Life Council. See ya later, Student Alumni Council.

I am trying to balance 4 classes under Furman’s new semester system, a part time job in Furman’s media relations office starting next week, and studying for the LSAT, and I simply do not have the time or energy to devote to those organizations, the time and energy they deserve from their members. I have utmost respect for them and look to see big things from them but know my place is to observe them from afar and that is just fine with me. It’s actually kind of liberating. My sister’s advice to me senior year was not to waste time trying to please people you don’t care about, and I think along those lines falls the concept of spending my time how I need to/want to. So I am learning to say no, I am learning to recognize what I need to do, how I want to spend my time, and pursuing that path.

Classes were good. American Government & Rhetoric day.

After my first class had a great talk with Lily. Her birthday is Friday and she told me to stop by her apartment for some cake in the late evening which works perfectly because I will be spending the early evening with Nancy, my big sister from Tridelt whom I haven’t seen since my visit to Furman this summer. I CANNOT WAIT to see her and hear how she’s been, how her teaching and wedding planning have been going, and just hear about life! And maybe see her apartment and get my bridesmaid dress? Yaaaay. So after I see Nancy I will have pretty much gotten to see all my best friends since I’ve been back. I thought about that on my walk today. I thought about how thankful I am that I am pretty much guaranteed to see three of my best friends every day (my apartment mates) and how I am resolved to see other best friends often, if not weekly. Leanna and I last week talked about how much we think about our friends and if we talked to them or told them how much we thought about them they would probably feel quite loved so I sent Tyner a message telling her I was thinking about her.

Lunch I just showed up. Didn’t know who was going to be there, but I didn’t care. I had no problem sitting by myself. It can be intimidating walking into a big crowded cafeteria, but I just don’t care anymore. I was happy to see Brandon, Seth, and Ann sharing a table and it was a delight to join them. I was more than content to feast alone, but it was so great having company!

After my walk roommate Bridgette and I looked up cruises. We want to take a vacation. Spring break? After Christmas? Cheap? Out of Charleston? Pleeeeeease. Wickles and Corey can come too. Sigh. Dream on, bucko.

I recreated my favorite dish from Chicora Alley for dinner – a wrap with cheese, spinach, plantains (bananas as a substitute) but no chicken because I didn’t have any and it was very yummy and I am going to start studying in a minute or so.

I’d like to catch Palin on later tonight but should get to crackin’ that LSAT…hmm…maybe she will be on youtube.

I'm peaceful, calm, and happy. This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it...sounds good to me!

I've been listening to this song a lot lately. Especially after a weekend like the one I just had, my heart feels peaceful and brimming with, well, love. Just thinkin' there ain't no way to contain the love that I feel inside and how that love makes me think of an even greater love. A love that took the arrows, the nails that I deserve, and wrapped His heart around my name, carved my name into His heart, just to say I love you.

"My Tree" by Chris Rice:

On a hill far away stands a tall mighty tree
Where a boy and girl used to take
turns pushing the tire swing
I remember the pocketknife in hand
And her name in my heart
And thinkin' there ain't no way for a boy to contain
The love that he feels inside
So I carved her name into my tree
Then I carved a heart around her name
Then I carved an arrow through the heart
Just to say "I love you"
Now on a hill far away stood an old rugged cross
The emblem of suffering and shame
I remember the nails through my hands
And your name in my heart
And how in their wordless way the nails explain
The love that I feel inside
As they carved your name into my tree
Where I wrapped my heart around your name
Then I took your arrow through my heart
Just to say, "I love you"
Just to say, "I love you"
Now I can never forget how much you mean to me
'Cause I will always remember whenever I see
Where I carved your name into my tree
Where I wrapped my heart around your name
Then I took your arrow through my heart
Just to say, "I love you"
Just to say, "I love you"

No comments: