Since I spend a good deal of my day scanning various media outlets, I came across a column in the Nashville Scene - "Ask a Mexican."
This really exists.
No, it's not politically correct, but it's so absurd it's funny.
Here is the latest question that I'm sure has kept you up at night:
Dear Mexican: Why do Mexicans swim in the ocean with their clothes on? I mean, denim?!
Dear Mexican: I know this might be a seasonal question, but why do Mexicans like swimming in their clothes? Is it a Catholic thing? I remember as a child growing up in the San Fernando Valley in California that my Catholic cousin even bathed at home in his T-shirt and underwear through his adolescence. He claims the nuns told him it was a sin to be naked.
Dear Mexican: I am half-Mexican myself but just don’t understand—why do Mexicans wear their clothes when swimming? They are the only people at a beach or public swimming spot who do it. Very bizarre—please explain!
Half-Mexican
Dear Pochos: This is by far the most-asked question in ¡Ask a Mexican! history. So, to todos ustedes, I have my own question: Are you all brown chubby chasers? Like gabachos, an alarming number of Mexicans are out of shape. According to a 2003 study by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, 24 percent of Mexico’s population is overweight. That’s the second-highest obesity rate in the world following—wait for it—¡los Estados Unidos! (The Mexican’s present-day note: A 2008 study found the same results. I’d cite the exact survey, but here comes la migra—gotta run!) Unlike gabachos, Mexicans respect the public when it comes to flashing our flabby chichis, pompis and cerveza guts—so when we’re out near the pool or by the beach, we cover up. It ain’t Catholicism, machismo or an homage to our swim across the Rio Grande. It’s good manners.
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment