Sunday, June 15, 2008

My kind of weekend

I feel a long post coming on.

3 weeks have passed since I’ve been home, 10 more to go!

Upcoming weekends
• June 20/21: CB & John’s wedding weekend in Greenville, SC!!!!!
• June 27/28: Roommate Bridgette’s boyfriend Corey’s in town / surprise adventure
• July 4/5: 4th of July!!!
• July 11/12: ???
• July 18/19: Roommate Jessie’s in town!!!
• July 25/26: Megan Flynn’s in town, Sonshine home concert on Sunday
• Aug. 1/2: Megan Hassall’s wedding weekend!!!
• Aug. 8/9: ???
• Aug 14/15: Marks the end of my internship!!
• Aug. 21/22: Last weekend before SENIOR YEAR begins!!

Not bad, not bad at all.

Well, this weekend officially began at midnight Friday morning and I was at Steak N Sheak with my high school friends Rachel, Chris Blankenship, and Philipa Booyens who brought her new husband Jaco. The three of them were involved in some of my favorite memories of the summer before senior year and my final year in high school, & I’ve included two photos documenting said high school fun….





It was the 1st time I had seen any of them all summer. We had milkshakes. Chris introduced Jaco, a native of South Africa, to frisco melts. Good times.

On Friday I met Emily Samuel for lunch at Pufffy Muffin, a local favorite of mine. Yes, the name is kind of silly but I love it. Usually the cliental is about 90% women but real men can eat at the Puffy Muffin haha. They have incredible chicken salad and ginger (fruit) tea. Emily is very mature for her age and we had some grown up girl bonding time which involved getting a singing father’s day card and perusing the nearby boutiques.

After hanging out with Emily I went to the library for about 4 hours to finish “Cracking the LSAT.” Philipa and I rescheduled our hang out time so I had the night free. I rented Legally Blonde to get pumped up for the LSAT and that was thrilling. I really really like that movie…except it has a handful of really awkward parts that I had to leave the room. But it was a good dose of girl power.

Right as I was going to make my way to bed I realized we were out of coffee so I had to make a coffee run (I have a facebook bumper sticker that has a cup of coffee spilling and says “no not the coffee! I need that to live”…yeah….haha).

Before I went to bed I chatted with my brother Nathan. I asked him if I could buy a song from Enchanted on his itunes (“how does she knooooow” haha) and he had just bought Steven Curtis Chapman song “Cinderella” so we listened to that together and then to Dispatch’s “The General” which is one of his favorite songs. He said one of the reasons it’s his favorites is because he remembered hearing it in the car when all of us Renfro siblings were together and we were singing along – jamming’s more like it – and so it makes him think of our family. Ah, music’s power over memory. Tender moment. I’m so proud of him. My mom said she asked her bible study ladies to pray that “what offends God would offend Nathan” and I see that prayer answered in his life.

It was raining so I went out on the screen door porch and curled up and listened to it fall all around me – one of my favorite pastimes. The night air was cool. I closed my eyes and my heart was calm in the storm. The rain was my lullaby.

The next morning was LSAT practice test morning! The dogs woke me up at 6:30. Took the test, got my score back and……..I am SO encouraged by the results! After one week of studying I could get into law school and am just a couple points away from getting into UT where I want to go, so think of what some prep courses will do! I’m so close, I’m so encouraged – I had just studied one week! Of course the goal would be to get the score much higher in October, but don’t steal my joy – it is an encouraging start (and it was just a practice test under simulated conditions so it doesn’t bring hurt me at all!!)… yayyyyy!

I went to Puffy Muffin (lol – yes, again) and met Clint there (remember, real man can eat at the Puffy Muffin). I’m absolutely thrilled he’s around this summer, so I hope he doesn’t get sick of me haha. He is full of personality. And absolutely hilarious. We brought the average age in the place down a bit and were definitely “those whipper snappers” laughing way too loud.

Mom and I talked for a little bit when I got back and rode in her convertible out to the farm – perfect convertible day. I had trouble finding my shoes this morning because as soon as we got there (around 4?5?) I kicked them off and went barefoot. My roommate Jessie would have been right there with me! Because of the rain the ground was still damp in places. I splashed in puddles and mud and twirled around and touched the trees and the fences and inhaled the flowers and found blackberry bushes, remembering a line from Gone With the Wind: “You seem to belong here, as if it had all been imagined for you.” On my walk I breathed deeply and prayed and sang and remembered the days I would ride my pony bareback over the same paths singing to him. My beloved farm. A piece of me. Makes me think of:

There's a new wind blowing like I've never known
I'm breathing deeper than I've ever done
And it sure feels good to finally feel the way I do

Yes, it’s true. I knew it would be amazing to come home after a challenging end of the year. But I do feel this good. I do feel God healing my heart.

Makes me think of one of my new favorite worship songs, Everything by Lifehouse:

You calm the storms, and you give me rest.
You hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall.
You steal my heart, and you take my breath away.
Would you take me in? Take me deeper now?
How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?

I am very excited to return to Greenville but a little nervous. I was reminded today that I have nothing to fear because God is with me. I couldn’t even start to list all the people I’m SO EXCITED to see.

Last night I hung out with my brother Jay’s church small group and my brother Nathan. We played spoons, and whenever someone would loose a round the guys would carry them to a room and lock them away…ya, normal…lol

I continued reading “Eat, Pray, Love” – my mom asked me, “are you eating, praying, or loving?” – I’m praying now. I got through the “eating” portion, when the author was in Italy learning about pleasure (which consisted of eating amazing food and learning the Italian language) from the people who excel in it and have followed her to India.

This morning I got woken up by a SNORT – my sister’s er, chaaarming dog Loca. Went to church then TJ Maxx and found a dress for CB’s wedding.

I’m in charge of Father’s Day dinner so I’m going to get on that since the most cooking I’ve done in college is microwaving and stove pasta…I WISH I was kidding…

No comments: