Eat Pray Love was right on tonight.
It’s SO good – but it’s taking me a while to read because there are so many good quotes that I want to document them or just take some time to let them soak in. Tonight was one of those times.
I was out at the farm. Rode out there with my dad & the d-o-gs. We were the only ones home (2 out of a 6 person family, an odd occurrence in the Renfro house). The weather has been cool, especially in the evening, and tonight was no exception. Sat on the bench by my family’s memorial trees and the cross my grandfather made and watched the dogs chase each other and go bounding through the tall golden brown grass. Sat still enough to feel the heat dissipate into the pure cool of dusk while the sun sank out of sight, leaving behind soft hues of gold and pink and orange. It’s lovely being in a place where the only sounds you hear are your dogs barking carelessly and a chorus of frogs. Enveloped by a pleasant breeze and farm fragrance – pine, hay, grass, flowers, clean air – all the senses were tickled except for taste which was alright because there was no hunger, no need.
On the other side of the world Liz Gilbert climbs up to the top of a building in India as the sun was going down and the breeze was warm. Her friend gave her words to meditate over that he titled “Instructions for Freedom.”
1. Life’s metaphors are God’s instructions.
2. You have just climbed up and above the roof. There is nothing between you and the Infinite. Now, let go.
3. The day is ending. It’s time for something that was beautiful to turn into something else that is beautiful. Now, let go.
4. Your wish for resolution was a prayer. Your being here is God’s response. Let go, and watch the stars come out – on the outside and on the inside.
5. With all your heart, ask for grace, and let go.
6. With all your heart, forgive him, FORGIVE YOURSELF, and let him go.
7. Let your intention be freedom from useless suffering. Then, let go.
8. Watch the heat of day pass into the cool of night. Let go.
9. When the karma of a relationship is done, only love remains. It is safe. Let go.
10. When the past has passed from you at last, let go. Then climb down and begin the rest of your life. With great joy.
“Let Him have the things that hold you, and His spirit and His love will descend upon your life and make you whole.”
I’ve found when I pray lately that I have to physically hold my hands open to show – hey, they’re open. I’m not clinging to what I want, but I am trying to be intentional with my prayers, so what I’m offering up is Yours to claim. Maybe if I was really letting go I wouldn’t pray over the same things each day. Three weeks ago Dr. Olds had a great sermon on prayer. He explained prayer as an alignment of wills (“Thy will be done”), adoration (“Our Father” – bask in the knowledge that this is Our Father’s world), and asking (for physical needs, “give us this day our daily bread,” and spiritual, “deliver us from evil”).
One part that really stuck with me is why are prayers aren’t answered how we want them to be.
Reason 1: Some prayers are manipulative. When people don’t do what we want them to do or think they should do, we call on God to change them/intervene for our gain.
Reason 2: We don’t know what we really need. If we got everything we asked for, we’d be a mess.
Reason 3: We don’t have the patience to wait.
Reason 4: It takes more than 1 lifetime for God’s will to be done. We experience glimpses of Heaven now, so we need to continue to pray for Heaven to come down more.
Dr. Olds said that either God changes the circumstance or changes the person/grants the power to overcome it. “And either way, it’s alright,” he said. “It’s alright."
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment