THE day of love or single awareness day?
If you could possibly forget that Valentine's Day is approaching, a quick visit to Walmart will QUICKLY remind you. There were balloons, flowers, sweets, boxes of chocolates, cards, stuffed animals, heart decorations, and pink and red eeeeeeveryyywheeereee.
A friend of mine is planning on going out on Valentine's Day with girlfriends to get manicures and pedicures. Whether on not it's Valentine's Day, I do believe this is always a good idea.
I decided to treat myself to a pedicure today. After over a half hour in a massage chair, with rolling and kneading down my back working out all the tension, and warm towels wrapped around my legs, and mint smelling lotion and exfoliation, my toes now don a lovely, happy, hot pink hue!
Before this treat, I got my Valentine a great gift! Was it necessary? No. Does he need it? No. But will it be fun to spoil him and make him feel special? Yes! Maybe that's the point of Valentine's Day. Showing you love someone just because you can, and celebrating those you love - platonic, familial, or romantic - because you can, because you have people in your life to love.
My Valentine's Day weekend will kick off tomorrow as I go visit Mr. Clint! Apparently, he is cooking me dinner. I do not like surprises, but it sounds like there may be flowers? Candlelight dinner? A present exchange? Oh, he can keep the rest a surprise, I'll find out soon enough. And we are going to watch two romantic movies, Casablanca one night, and Braveheart another. I have not seen either movie all the way through so they will be a treat! Saturday night we are going dancing with Clint's family in historic downtown Franklin. He said to wear my red dress, which is very fun to dance and twirl in, so I am very excited about that!
Now, two songs come to mind when thinking about Valentine's Day. "My Valentine" by Martina McBride, which touches on the very passionate, romantic aspect of love that Valentine's Day evokes:
If there were no words
No way to speak
I would still hear you
If there were no tears
No way to feel inside
I'd still feel for you
And even if the sun refuse to shine
Even if romance ran out of rhyme
You would still have my heart
Until the end of time
You're all i need
My love, my valentine
And then, there's Frank Sinatra, "My Funny Valentine." I remember the first time I heard this song I thought his words weren't the most flattering in the world and wondered, should his love take offense? They weren't exactly the words I would want someone to sing to me...at first. But the more I hear it, the more it grows on me, the more it makes me think of love. It may not be as romantic as the first song at first, but it is so sweet in its own way because he is imploring the woman he loves not to change because he loves her just the way she is - now, isn't that what love's all about, that whole 'unconditional' business? But then again, it is Frank, so it is still romantic.
My funny valentine
Sweet comic valentine
You make me smile with my heart
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art
Is your figure less than Greek
Is your mouth a little weak
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?
But don't change a hair for me
Not if you care for me
Stay little valentine stay
Each day is valentines day
Ah, yes. Well said/sang, Frank.
Now, I think I may go watch the 1968 version of Romeo & Juliet before bed before the Valentine's Day weekend officially begins!
Happy Valentine's Day to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment