Thursday, January 15, 2009

Break mode

Over Christmas break, one of my roommates pointed out that her [Christmas] break mode was where she could be more relaxed and open. She said she hoped to stay in break mode and make it the norm instead of the exception (which tends to happen when school gets in session and the stress kicks in).

My new phone has an option of "airplane mode." I think I should turn my life on break mode and leave it on break mode. This doesn't mean be unproductive and sleep all the time, but a general spirit of rest and not hurrying and not worrying, doing things and being with people I love and enjoy. There IS time to do those things and the things that have to get done. People often say they don't have time when really they don't make time. In break mode, you make the time to live. Even at Furman.

I'll let you know what that looks like when I know.

But I think it looks a little something like this.

Watching The Bachelor with my roommates all piled on one bed for two hours. Squealing and commenting on the ridiculousness of the women vying for his affection. Which means staying up really late and sleeping in.

Making time for Bible study & journaling & reading & praying & processing those thoughts.

Taking walks on a winter's day. All the leaves are brown, and the sky is gray. I went for a walk on a winter's day...

Keeping in touch with friends through emails and messages.

No comments: