Saturday, July 18, 2009

Summer days driftin' away, to uh-oh those summer nights

Summer days driftin' away, to uh-oh those summer nights
Uh Well-a well-a well-a huh
(from Grease, duh)

Yesterday post work was AWESOME!

Came home, my sister and her baby pug & young pug were playing in the yard, and the weather here - oh my, record lows for July in Tennessee, and it feels phenomenal outside! Nat had some of her wedding picture proofs printed and organized in collages by the photographer & it was so neat reliving that very special day.

Then my childhood friend Taylor came over and we basked in the sun by the pool and talked. Beautiful day. Bright sun shiney day, perfect temperature - warm & breezy - SO relaxing out by the pool...loved being able to breathe deeply and talk and giggle with an old friend, and just be.

Here's a picture of some ducks swimming in our pool.


After Taylor left I got ready for my Friday night (which involved putting on makeup and fixing my hair, something I usually don't do haha). I went to pick up some wine and I think this is the best wine I've ever had!

BEST WINE EVER: McManis Petit Sirah I think it was (I broke the cork opening it and didn't save it but did save the foil on the outside of the cork. I KNOW it's McManis, but am not 100% sure it was the Petit Sirah.)

One review of Petit Syrah online says "Drinking Petite Sirah is akin to draping yourself in velvet robes and lounging on silky pillows." It's luxurious.

This bottle the vendor described as "earthy" which I thought would be good considering we were going to be outside. It had subtler spice than a shiraz (sp?). A review of it says "The tannins are like comfortable silky pajamas giving you a relaxing and sensuous mouth feel." Haha! Sweet & true!

I've started venturing away from white wines to (a) be cooler, red wine seems to be a more sophisticated beverage to drik & (b) I learned Riesling is very high in calories & sugar (no wonder I was packing on the pounds at the end of school - ugh) & after having it warm (4th of July at the farm, it had been sitting out for a while) I don't really desire to drink it any time soon.

So a very yummy, well bodied wine. Didn't taste any strong fruit or jammy flavors like in other reds, & but more of a smoky, musty experience while still being luxrious...I don't know how, but it happened. I was already relaxed and among friends, but this wine was just perfect - perfectly fit the mood, was just what I had in mind - and isn't that a great, simple pleasure - when you are (I wouldn't go as far to say craving something)but wanting something specific & you get just what you wanted, just what you had in mind? This wine was like that. Maybe it's not the best wine ever, but it was just what I wanted, just what I had in mind. :)

OK, before this post turns into a diatribe about wine (confession: I'll often check dictionary.com to make sure I am using words correctly, as I just did with 'diatribe' haha) let me tell about last night.

'Twas a classic summer night, summer in all its glory! I LOVE SUMMER and nights like last night affirm to me my fondness for the best season ever!!!

Megan's family has a wonderful set-up in their backyward. They have a patio with tables and chairs, lawn chairs, fire pit, big backyard, and a garden. We gathered around and hot dogs and smores were roasted. I love Megan - we've been the best of friends since middle school! She is strong, she is kind, she is resilent, she is warm, she makes me giggle! I kicked back and drank my wine and talked to her guests and roasted me a mean smore! Mmmmmm. You may not think campfire is synonymous with summer, but since the night was cool, it was perfect! We sat around the fire as her guests got drunker and bawdier and it was soon time to go because she had an engagement early in the morning. I was sad Clint did not get to experience this laid back, peaceful summer night, but it gave me a boost of confidence that I can 'hold my own' when it comes to meeting new people & socializing, which I will be doing a lot of in the coming weeks & months - & I really, really enjoyed it, which is a good sign! A dude Clint doesn't feel comfortable with because said dude had expressed interest in me was there, & I feel confident I can have a platonic, good friendship with this person because he is very respectful of my relationship despite any feelings he had/has towards me, but I above all want to respect Clint which seems to require keeping my distance from this person. I think I may have charmed this person, but as the Bible says, charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, and so as easy as it is to lapse into the Scarlett O'Hara side of me I remember I would rather & need to be more of a Melanie and can instead draw from the best of my beloved Gone With the Wind characters because I do relate to both of them! I want to be more polished like Scarlett. I am not very polished. I wear my emotions on my face, can be a spaz, and don't pay attention to details very well. I also want to be geniune and feel the two can be combined. Just a thought, confession. Boy this blog is full of mini confessions!

Well time to go work out. 'Fat doesn't take a day off' (line from Legally Blonde musical) but boy, wouldn't it be great if it did! Despite what the scale's been saying recently I am pleased with how I look and actually thanked God for how I looked and my body the other day which is big for me & progress for me (another confession). I think you have to love yourself before you can love others and expect others to love you. Heard before that if you want a friend you need to first be a friend and perhaps the same applies to love, if you want love you need to seek to love first and actually be lovable first. Read in some book - can't remember which - that a woman was wondering why a man didn't love her and thought, 'well have you seen yourself? You don't even love you!' I've had and have friends who have had moments like that.

This is going to be a great day, I can already sense it!

No comments: