
...and it's my birthday!
This pic is not a fair representation of my birthday but it sure is lovely.
I just want to stuff my face in it - no hands needed - & take a big chomp out of the balcony! Haha!
And that is what I did, except with a cookie cake, not a castle cake.
First lesson as a 23 year old: do not eat 1/4 a cookie cake before dinner or 1/4 a cookie cake PERIOD. You will spoil your appetite. You will get sick. I did, and had an atrocious tummy ache!
Ate lots of cookie cake and went to Chili's with my fam and Clint. Twas a more mature, adult-like than last year's shennanigans of having my friends on a party trolley (see below). I received calls & texts & messages on my phone & facebook & twitter wishing me a happy day which have made me feel SO special! My sis got me bronze bcbg flip flops with a flower petal on them; they match the heart necklace Clint gave me for our 1 year anniversary so I'm wearing both now. Clint brought me PINK flowers and the SWEETEST lil book - pictures of us with poems and songs that correspond with each picture. Love that man :)
Twenty three.
That has a nice ring to it!
I am 23 years old. 23 years ollllllld. 17 years from 40 as we say! Haha!



My first act as a 23 years old when I woke up this morning was to say a prayer for forgiveness. "Lord, forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us..." Liz Gilbert says, "Forgive him - forgive yourself - and let go." Mother Teresa says, "People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway."
I was so impressed by Jillian's (the bachelorette) ability to forgive the disrepectful Dave and snakey Wes. It was the mature thing to do, and showed how it's pointless to hold on to grudges or have a chip on your shoulder. She looked for the best in them, wanted to find out who they were for herself and did before they could break her heart, but she's happy now so she doesn't need to carry around resentment that someone she isn't even with anymore, & better off without, didn't treat her how she deserved. And perhaps, like Jillian, I am learning & hoping to see similar characters in my life not as malicious or jerks but confused, growing people who make mistakes just like myself. And maybe, the people I've hurt and will hurt can bestow the same delicious forgiveness on me - and if they dont, that I'll trust God will. Lord, forgive us of our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Forgiveness isn't the natural thing to do, but by forgiving & releasing resentment you free your heart so it has more space for love & will really feel lighter, mine did at least.
And I'm reflecting on Mother Teresa's beautiful prayer and wanting my heart & next 23years to absorb her wisdom:
People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies. Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you. Be honest and sincere anyway.
What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight. Create anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, will often be forgotten. Do good anyway.
Give the best you have, and it will never be enough. Give your best anyway.
In the final analysis, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.
And some wisdom from Don Henley, who shares my birthday:
There are people in your life who've come and gone
They let you down and hurt your pride
Better put it all behind you; life goes on
You keep carrin' that anger, it'll eat you inside
I've been tryin' to get down to the Heart of the Matter
But my will gets weak
And my thoughts seem to scatter
But I think it's about forgiveness
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore
{The Heart of the Matter}
No comments:
Post a Comment