


Whoa dude. I haven’t blogged in a while. I was really tired after running the 6 mile loop this evening and almost went to sleep at 9:30 but appaaaaarently a second wind has kicked in. Where did this weekend go?? Starting on Thursday, there have been fun evening activities which leaves not a lot of time to read or have processing time.
Thursday I went to go see Idina Menzel (the original Elphiba from Wicked, original Maureen from Rent) for free with John Clinton at TPAC. I had won tickets off News Channel 2’s website. Didn’t know what to expect, but she put on a GREAT show. She’s hilarious and extreeeeeemely talented. I freaked out a bit when she sang “No day but today” from Rent and when she ended the show with Defying Gravity. After the show we made our way back to the parking garage that’s past the public square. There are some fountains and reflecting pools and they were all lit up so I had to kick off my shoes and run through them and Clint was a good sport while I splashed about.
Friday I worked and visited with my roommate Jessie over at Bridgette’s place then met Clint back at my house to go see THE DARK KNIGHT on opening night which I believe we discussed doing before we were even dating maybe? Anyways, I enjoyed it. I’m not about to give a movie review, but I liked it! A must-see summer flick. Wow that was a lame review.
Saturday was roomie day in Nashville! We went window shopping and to vintage stores, one of my favorite restaurants/hangout spots (Jackson’s) and had one of my favorite meals (spinach wrap with portabella, provolone, and avocado mmmmmm) then went to this popsicle place for the freshest fruitiest popsicles ever then sat and chatted at the Frothy Monkey, a coffee house. GREAT day. And great night. Clint went swing dancing with me!! His church holds lessons every 1st and 3rd Saturdays, and when we first got there they were doing tango lessons. Fortunately they did switch to swing dancing, but we did learn the basic tango step (singular – step haha). Hopefully we will retain the swing dancing moves for Megan’s wedding in less than 2 weeks. Youtube may offer a nice refresher as well. Afterwards we went to meet Bridgette’s roommate Jessie and celebrate her engagement. Great celebratory bash, great company, great bowl of punch.
What did I even do today? Church. Popsicles with Clint (we see each other often, it’s nice) and the roommates, then the roommates got to see the farm! Then I read and journaled (Microsoft Word says journaled is not a word hmmp) outside for a bit and swam, went running, visited with my parents, read some more and here I am. At the computer. Blogging.
The one thing I wanted to blog about was the scripture read in church today:
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. – Ephesians 4:2-6
See, this verse cut right to something I knew needed addressing. God has a way of doing that, of convicting and providing guidance. My prayers have been for my relationships at home – how can I be a better daughter, sister, member of this family?
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.
That’s how. But even better, the lady in church misread the verse. She said “be patient, bearing one another in love” – reading right over the “with.” I like the implications of that because “bearing with one another” seems to implicate tolerate each other, like how some people say “bear with me” if they are telling a long pointless story or a bad joke (I apparently tell bad jokes, but I don’t preface it with bear with me). But, “bear one another” reminds me of the verses of bearing each other’s burdens.
Sometimes the burdens aren’t what need to be carried, it’s the person bearing them. I know there are times I’ve needed God to carry me through, which sometimes manifests itself in the incredible support from my dear family and friends – emotionally, or even physically. From being on the receiving end I know how nice it is to be in arms that will not fail though my own strength had temporally given out and hope I can “carry” someone through a time of need. So maybe this is a stretch, but this verse took on a new meaning for me – carry one another, be the kind of friend mentioned in this song:
You find out who your friends are
Somebody's gonna drop everything
Run out and crank up their car
Hit the gas, get there fast
Never stop to think 'what's in it for me?' or 'it's way too far'
They just show on up with their big old heart
You find out who your friends are
Jeremy and his dad “carried” me after I had a wreck. It was the unnecessary, over the top incredible gesture of love and support that reflects God’s heart towards his children in need. He doesn’t just give us a pitying gaze but RUNS to our rescue, pursues us relentlessly, considers the costs and the enemy involved and fights anyway even to the death, carries us and provides the strength to stand.
Thanks to biblegateway.com, I had to see if the misquote was close to any other translations. It wasn’t, really. But it still strikes a chord with me anyway.
making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love. –New Living Translation (hmm)
accepting one another in love, - Holman Christian Standard Bible(I like accepting more than bearing with)
showing tolerance for one another in love, -- New American Standard (boooo – tolerance. Tolerance isn’t love. Love is love)
supporting each other in charity – Wycliffe New Testament(now, that’s more like it…supporting each other…)
No comments:
Post a Comment