I have been in Memphis now from Sunday to Sunday, and a lot has happened in such a short span of time!
I suppose I will have to do brief highlights of all that has transpired for now since the law books are already clamoring for my attention!
Since the last time I have written:
Thurs & Fri were orientation events. Met some new, very nice future classmates of mine. I enjoyed it a lot more than Furman's orientation - no field games, no awkward brother hall mixers, etc. :) Everyone was new, most everyone did not know other people, so most everyone was in the same boat.
After being at orientation all day, Robin came with me to a cookout [free veggie burger!] & out for drinks [free beer!] with the law school peeps Thursday night.
At Friday's orientation we had a 'swearing in' ceremony, signifying our entry into the legal profession, a noble profession, a profession where we have the ability to use our legal knowledge to truly help people, change their lives for the better, in their time of need. Now, there are officially expectations that we strive for 'uncompromising professionalism.' I am SO proud of the degree I am pursuing. I feel like I am *thismuchcloser* to reaching my dream. I feel like I am right where I am supposed to be. And it feels AMAZING.
I wanted to include this next story because I think it is sweet. I was on my way to the bookstore & recognized the cute shoes of a girl who I had seen at law school events so I talked to her, and it turned out she was bringing her roommate to Friday's reception (as was I). She waited for me while I got my books and we talked some more. Her name's Anna & she's from TN too and she is SO sweet & cute. And that's how I met Anna, who I would venture to Graceland & to the movies with the next night. She reminded me a lot of Caroline Ingram, which speak volumes in my book. :)
Friday night Robin accompanied me to the reception at the Belz Art Museum [free food! free wine!]. We met more people & mingled with those we had met already, then went to Beale Street, to Silkys, a great outdoor spot where there are reasonably priced drinks, goats, live music, a place to dance [not to mention, for law students free cover & free parking!]!
Yesterday was a glorious Saturday! Went for a run on a path by the Mississippi River which is easily becoming one of my new favorite places, to Paradise Cafe with Robin and one of her friends, then to TJ Maxx, a quick trip to Target, Robin's beau arrived for a visit, watched The Other Boleyn Girl on youtube to satiate my recent obsession with Henry III & his wives.
I was *thisclose* to being lame and staying in, but my new sweet friend Anna was going with some friends to Graceland for Elvis week so I joined them, and what a treat it was! We saw old Elvis, fat Elvis, young Elvis, Elvis picture shrines, candlelight vigils, the works! I got a few postcards. Then we got some snacks - York peppermint patty, Diet Dr. Pepper, & dark choc M&Ms were my selection - and went to a midnight showing of the Time Travelers wife! Greatly enjoyed Rachel McAdams & Eric Bana :) Go see it. It's a sweet story!
Today I watched clips of The Tudors on youtube, accompanied Robin & her beau to Robin's uncle's for a *home cooked* meal including Muddy's [a Memphis bakery we have already visited] cupcakes for dessert, studied studied studied, received my black desk from Emily & Jordan, went for a walk at Sunset along the Mississippi River and am rested & ready to hit the books, hit the bed, & go to my first day of law school classes!
On my walk this evening, I watched the sun set over the river, a vibrant orange and pink that faded to lavender and peach. I watched families and couples play and sit and stroll. I watched the birds fly overhead, so many birds, and thought about the song over the rainbow that says at the very end (and gives my blog its url) that says 'if happy little bluebirds fly'...This song is such a comfort to me. I feel like the peace I've felt recently, that I am where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me. I am very blessed to have Robin here and I number her among my blessings daily, and I am very blessed to have this chance I've been given to attend a phenomenal institution and pursue an incredible degree while living in a peaceful, lovely community.
Watching the birds, I also thought of Matthew 6:26:
"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"
And how, yes, I know, 'God feeds the birds but does not put it in their nest - they have to go out and get it' but that verse emphasizes some very great, very simple truths about how God relates to us.
He provides. He is faithful & He is love. And we are very valuable to him.
The day is brighter here with You
The night is lighter than its hue
Would lead me to believe
Which leads me to believe
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
And I am Yours
What does that make me?
-David Crowder
Like the birds of the air, God takes great care of me!
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment