Monday, April 20, 2009

a toast for Nat and Mike's rehearsal dinner

SO I want to write all about this weekend and still bask in it.

However, I must pause from day dreaming and reliving what was the best weekend of my life (and I wasn't even the one getting married!) to get a paper started.

I have a 15 page paper due Friday... so, for now I will post my toast to Natalie and Mike (I've posted wedding pictures on facebook, but want to be sure the toast is saved online. I'm going to invest in getting an external hard drive after my next paycheck, but as for now, I'm hoping my 4 year old computer will hold).


A toast to Natalie & Mike for their wedding


Dear Sister,

Before you had Mike, or Loca, or brothers, your first companion was me – your little and only sister. We may not sing “we are sisters and we love each other all day” to each other anymore, but over the past few years we’ve gone from wearing matching dresses to playing dress up to fighting over clothes to becoming friends. Real friends, the best of friends, who can appreciate each others differences without being threatened by them and share each others joys and family ties, which means we’re stuck together – God didn’t give us a choice who our sister would be and as teens we probably would’ve questioned his judgment, but God knew what he was doing. And I am so thankful to call you my sister and my friend. You’ve challenged, supported, and encouraged me my entire life, and I’ve always admired you.

I couldn’t have asked for a better sister and couldn’t have imagined a better man for my sister, and am so thankful that God brought you two together to love and marry each other.

One night last summer dad told me I was “on my own” for dinner because Mike was treating him to dinner, because Mike had something very important he wanted to talk to dad about. What Mike wanted to talk about is the reason we’re all gathered here today, so I’m thinking the talk went well. That night I was wandering about by myself and happened into mom and dad’s room and on the counter I saw a small note in dad’s handwriting, as if he was brainstorming the points he wanted to be sure to talk about at his important dinner with Mike. Short and to the point, dad had written, “purpose of marriage – glorify God” and beneath that he wrote “Forever.” I took a picture of the note and can show you; dad loves us so much and was preparing to give your future husband his blessing, but not without hearing his intentions first. Nat, we all trust your judgment completely and the first time we met Mike we knew it was just a matter of time until we’d be celebrating y’all like this, and I have absolute faith that your marriage will be one that glorifies God and will be forever. I wish that in your marriage, you and Mike can show each other unconditional, absolute acceptance and love, because by doing so you will show each other in flesh and blood what God’s love is like.

And as husband and wife, you will be the corresponding strength for Mike and he will be the corresponding strength for you. Where he is weak you’ll be strong, and where you are weak he’ll be strong. Though you are both strong, incredible individuals on your own, you’re even better together. You two fit together so well. You even look alike. Nanny, our great grandmother, said you are the perfect couple and I’d agree you are perfect for each other because you bring out the best in each other.

I have seen firsthand how wonderfully you compliment, encourage, support, and love each other, and this is just the beginning. I can’t wait to see your relationship grow over the years. And I am thrilled and humbled to know that I’ll be sharing memories and holidays and double dating with you two for the rest of our lives.
Congratulations Nat and Mike!

No comments: