Thursday, December 10, 2009

last day of finals :)


Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you: as Albert Mondego, the man. - Edmond, The Count of Monte Cristo

I was reminded of that quote when reading my devotional this morning. It's an oldie but goodie. :)

The devotional said:

If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort. - 2 Corinthians 1:6-7

Are there some people in your circle of friends to whom you naturally go in times of trial & sorrow - people who always seem to say just the right words and who give you the very counsel you so desire? If so, you may not realize the high cost they have paid to become so skilled at binding up your gaping wounds and drying your tears. Yet if you were to investigate their past, you would find they have suffered more than most other people.

They have watched the silver cord on which the lamp of life hung slowly unravel. The have seen the golden bowl of joy smashed at their feet, and its contents spilled {this line made me think of the 'Count' quote} They have experienced raging tides, withering crops, and darkness at high noon, but all this has been necessary to make them into nurses, physicians, and ministers of others.

It's the day we've all been waiting for - the last day of the term. When I think back on this semester I am so thankful for both the highlights - the best of times - but also the hurdles - the difficult times - that have come my way. I've certainly felt both extremes described by the quote this term - the basking in the sunlight, and the shattered on the rock part.

Before my last exam two friends of mine commented on how calm I seem. I feel very calm this morning, too. I think 'calm' would not have described me pre-test in undergrad, so it is nice to know I have grown some since then haha. Often we don't recognize growth along the way but our friends or certain occurances serve as mirrors to show us we are changed, different, better, still moving forward by God's grace. Thank you for your prayers, Uncle Bill & Allison, and anybody else. :)

"O Sovereign LORD, remember me. O God, please strengthen me just once more" - Judges 16:28

No comments: