
Oh the places you’ll go!
…the name of a Dr. Seuss book that I was given after my high school graduation. Now, with less than a week until my college graduation, I took a moment to reflect on just how true that phrase was for me.
I was very fortunate to go many places and have many little adventures while in college. I went and saw and experienced new places, but even more important, college was a time where I experienced a journey of my heart, a journey of the self, a journey to discover, explore, and know deeper than ever who I am and who I was created to be in Christ.
During College I’ve…
Gone to Charleston x9
Gone to Myrtle Beach x2
Gone on a ghost tour of Charleston x3
Gone on a haunted pub tour of Nashville
Gone apple picking
Gone to the Biltmore at Christmas time x2
Gone to the Biltmore in the spring during the Festival of Tulips
Gone to a winery
Gone to a wine bar
Gone to a tapas restaurant
Gone to a bed and breakfast in North Carolina
Gone to Disney World
Gone to Orlando x2
Gone on a cruise
Gone to the circus
Gone to Carolina Cup x2
Gone to Chimney Rock State Park x2
Gone to Miami
Gone to Asheville
Gone to New England in the fall
Gone to a dog show
Gone to the Nutcracker
Gone to see the lights at Opryland Hotel at Christmas time
Gone to a county fair
Gone to a political rally
Gone to a drag show
Gone to frat parties
Gone to five bachelorette parties
Been to a Boston Pops in concert
Been to a Girl Talk concert
Been to a Kenny Chesney concert
Been to a John Mayer concert
Been to a midnight showing of a movie x2 (Pirates, Harry Potter)
Been in three weddings
Been an intern for a farm camp, publishing company, public relations agency, community newspaper, mayor’s press secretary, mediator, and the Furman News and Media Relations Office
Seen the Vagina Monologues
Seen musicals (Rent and Legally Blonde)
Sang karaoke
Drank beer out of a keg
Ridden on a trolley x3
Ridden a bike in the Everglades National Park
Made a gingerbread house during Christmas time
Made sangria for a Fourth of July party
Hosted a New Years Eve party
Dressed up in a curtain, as a rock star, pirate, tennis player, redneck, pumpkin, cowgirl, Cinderella, Giselle from Enchanted, Jenny from Forrest Gump, 1940s glam girl, flapper girl
Joined a sorority
Had the same roommate for three years
Experienced the death of family members
Experienced the marriage of my sister
Fallen in love
Been accepted to law school
Learned lessons in, but mostly outside, the classroom
Had my heart broken and healed by my Healer and Maker and First Love
Hurt
Wept
Laughed
Danced
Loved
Learned
Lived
This summer I’ll go to Spain, Chicago, Charleston, Seaside, Louisville, a Renaissance festival and to see Legally Blonde: The Musical again.
I will move to Memphis to begin law school. I will begin a new chapter of my life more confident, more grounded, more sure of who I am then when I set out to Furman four years ago – still painfully flawed, still learning, still journeying through a land that is not my home, and still experiencing Heaven on earth, receiving glimpses of what awaits me permanently in eternity. Until then, I can embrace in breathless expectation, Dr. Seuss' notion --- oh, the places you’ll go!
2 comments:
We've had a good four years, haven't we. It's hard to believe how much I've grown and changed, but I'm so blessed to have had friends like you alongside me the whole way. ♥
Ange, the soccer coach at UT, gave me and all the graduating seniors this book! Just thought that was neat, as is your whole blog thingy I am just reading for the first time!! Miss you, hope we can hang some this summer. P.S. CONGRATS ON U. MEMPHIS!!
Post a Comment