Sunday, November 22, 2009

this i must share

Many, many former 1Ls have been quite quick to dispense wisdom or go off on a tirade about how worried they are about finals.

One of my friends said simply, "don't worry about finals. You'll be fine."

That was the BEST advice I've received yet.

Sure, there's a healthy apprehension to have in approaching these big tests. They are very important.

But I am a Christian, and my God instructs me to cast my cares on Him & NOT to worry. God NEVER says worry is an appropriate response; worry seems to show we are not trusting in Him to take care of us. Worry doesn't have any room in the life of a believer, if you think about it. It is...useless. Unproductive. Unhealthy. Unnecessary. Therefore, if I study hard, do the best I can, why should I worry about what happens? Maybe that sounds naive. I can control the outcome of my exam performance to the best of my ability, but cannot control that which is beyond my control.

Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday. - Sunscreen Song

I COULD worry, but I know that worry is ineffective. I am instead channeling that energy towards my task at hand and towards staying positive.

Zeke, I seem to recall that you do not like Jason Mraz, but I am confident he was on to something when he said: "I WON'T WORRY MY LIFE AWAY." :)

I don't think this is a naive approach. I am not saying "hakuna matata" - problem free philosophy. There are legit problems. But don't worry about them.

There's a bumper sticker that says "Relax God is in Control" with a penguin getting eaten by a goldfish being told by another penguin to relax. Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Happy Sunday :)

1 comment:

Coyote Waits said...

you're welcome, I'm like a law school Guru... of sorts...